Sunday, March 20, 2005

Spanglish

We live in Mexico. That sentence, to this southern girl, is just so much fun. I am a traveler. An adventurer. A (cautious) thrill-seeker. A "foreign extraction", to quote the female chimpanzee from "Babe: Pig in the City".

One of the pluses of living in Mexico at this point, is that I have two small children. Two small children to expose to a new culture, new friends, a new language.

Annabelle, who turned 3 yesterday, is a little genius. She has figured out the most important spanish phrases that she needs at this point:
1. Como se llamas? = what is your name? This meets her "social butterfly" needs, for there are many friends to be made in Mexico.

2. no comprendo. = I don't understand. Because honestly? She doesn't understand.

3. jugo de manzana= apple juice This helps her meet her daily apple juice need. Yes it is a need, not just a toddlers desire. Now, at any restaurant that we visit, Annabelle can order for herself, if Mama or Daddy are busy pulling Julian out of potted plants or other patrons meals.

Julian, at 14 months, is a little monster...the "Juju monster" as Annabelle lovingly refers to him. I call him Brother Bear. He can be so cuddly and yet so ferocious in the same moment. Julian is not a big talker...he likes to scream. Last night, my parents called to wish Annabelle a Happy Birthday, and I put Julian on the phone. I don't know if my father's hearing will ever be the same. "HEDDA!!!! HODA!!!!! BLARAARAARAA!!!! HEDDA!!!!!!!! HODA!!!!!!!!!"

My dad, the optimist, concludes that Julian is saying Hello! and Hola! I optimistically, believe that as well. The rest of the world hears senseless babbling, but not me and my Dad. We truly understand this little bear.

Julian is in a state of confusion. He doesn't even speak english yet, and our baby talk is turning into "spanglish". Poor kid.
"Juju, do you want some fresas?"
"Juju, let's play outside with your amigos"
"Yummy frijoles, Juju"
And we wonder why his speech is a bit delayed...

As much as I would love to continue this entry, my first entry, Julian is yelling from his room. You gotta love the neighbors dogs, barking for exactly 1 hour every single night from approx. 1-2 a.m. Don't they know how close they are to danger, for next door a little bear sleeps...

2 Comments:

At 3/22/2005 6:23 PM, Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

Delightful and so creative.

Love, V

 
At 10/12/2005 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should really be proud of this site, i browsed it after entering my name. you and your family will treasure this for many years, god bless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home