Monday, November 07, 2005

Frie-yends















These are a couple of shots from my hometown. (though illegal, we ignored the "no trespassing" sign for about 5 minutes, and I'm so glad i did. she loved it here) Annabelle and I had a girls weekend and went home for my sister's wedding shower. We have another shower on Friday (the bridal shower) but I think Bella may be a bit too young to attend that one! ;)

Annabelle had been really difficult on the day that we were leaving to come back home. She never wants to leave Poppy and Tata's house, and cries and begs to stay with them. "I WANNA GO TO YOURS HOUSE TATA!!! I DON"T LIKE MY HOUSE! JUST 1 MORE MINUTE!!!" followed by long wails and huge alligator tears, dripping all over her carseat. It's very difficult for me, because I want to understand and sympathize and reason with her, and at the same time, she is kicking the DVD player in the backseat and screaming in shrill voices. She never has tantrums like this anymore, she has outgrown them, until it is time to leave her beloved Poppy and Tata.

On this day, I lost my temper and yelled at her to "BE QUIET!" and then cranked the radio up loudly, to drown out her screams. She finally calmed down after a few minutes of driving, and as I passed this lake, I knew we needed to stop and "regroup" before heading home. She gave me 5 minutes of precious behavior, apologizing to me and asking me to "forgib" her. And I immediately did.

Then we went back to Tata's office, so that she could apologize for her behavior, and say goodbye like a big girl. With promises to visit again soon, and a piece of sugarfree Trident (oh yes, no more sugar for her for a looong time) we made our way home much happier and lighter.
That evening, she woke up screaming and yelling, refusing to be comforted. I was asleep (Dustin was working on the computer) and I was sleeping hard. I had to work in the morning and I was very impatient. I KNEW that it was a restless thing. She had no nap, 2 days in a row, and mucho sugar, but it still just made me angry. I wanted her to BE QUIET, and let me sleep, and eventually she did. I woke up in the morning with a heavy heart. I knew I had been too short with her. I needed to kiss her and tell her it was okay, but I didn't want to wake her up after her late night, so I stayed in the bathroom, getting ready for work.

A minute later, I heard a noise, and looked down to see a small hand, wriggling 4 fingers under the bathroom door. She was waving at me. I opened the door to a bright smile, and she said, "LOOK WHO'S AWAKE!" I kissed her and picked her up and before I could apologize, she grabbed my hand and said, "Mommy, I'm so sorry I was yellin last night. Will you forgib me?" I almost started crying. I asked her to forgive me too, and kissed her and she smiled and said, "Let's just be frie-yends" (yes, she is developing a slight southern accent)

And so we are. Frie-yends.

5 Comments:

At 11/07/2005 6:42 AM, Blogger amazing grace said...

okay, that entry could be in a "Chicken Soup for the Soul" or some book like that----

heartwarming. So sweet!

And, the pics of Bella---GORGEOUS!!

love the b&w one...

 
At 11/08/2005 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is precious and a great, touching, encouraging story! There is so much love in a child's heart! I can't wait until I get to experience that someday with someone besides my students!

 
At 11/08/2005 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My Precious Bella - you break my heart every time you leave crying - I started crying - and I wanted Poppy to FIX IT! I hate distance when it comes to family...
But you have a wonderful Mommy - and Daddy and Juju whom I know you can't wait to see once you are at mys house...
love you much
TATA

 
At 11/10/2005 7:28 AM, Blogger The Beyer Family said...

This is such a sweet story. Kids amaze me with their honesty and innocence. Your Bella is so smart, and so sweet. She's great writing material, and you are just the author for the job.

It is good to see you posting again - I've missed you!

 
At 11/15/2005 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pictures on the dock are amazing!!!! Love them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home