Friday, March 25, 2005

Here comes the Sun

Dustin and I seemed to be at odds all day today. I hate days like that. Things are worked out now, as they usually are, but in the moment, things seemed so hopeless.

At one point, I went into the bathroom and there was a book that Dustin's been reading, "Each Day a NEW Beginning: daily meditations for women" (i made fun of him for buying it, b/c it's for women, but it's actually really good) I opened it up to the page he had bookmarked and it just really spoke to me.

The opening quote was by Edna O'Brien. "Bad moments, like good ones, tend to be grouped together."

so so true...i read on...

"Rough times may be pouring in on us at the moment and they may seem unending. Difficulties appear to attract more difficulties, problems with loved ones, problems at work, problems with our appearance. A negative attitude, something that we all struggle with at times (some of us more than others), is the culprit.

When the good times come, as they always do, they are accompanied by a positive attitude. We do find what we look for.

Our attitude is crucial. It determines our experiences. A trying situation can be tolerated with relative ease when we have a positive, trusting attitude. We forget, generally, that we have an inner source of strength to meet every situation. We forget the simple truth--all is well, at this moment, and at every moment. When the moments feel good, our presence is light, cheery. When the moments are heavy, so are we.

I can turn my day around. I can change the flavor of today's experiences. I can lift my spirits and know all is well."

In an instant, I knew that I was at fault. Not for everything, but for my attitude. I had a dreary, woe is me, I'm so mistreated attitude, and that doesn't help resolve anything. I focused more on myself than on the fact that I am in love with this man and together we can overcome anything.

For the past several days, I have been noticing post-its stuck to random places, all saying one thing, "All is Well" in Dustin's scribble. He's working on his attitude. He's trying to change, to grow, to move forward. I don't want to be left behind. I don't want to be the reason that we're still fighting over the same crap that we fought about in our first year together. It starts with me...and today I choose to see good things...to know that all IS well...

After I wrote this, I uploaded some pictures from today onto my computer and loved this one of Annabelle, looking up into the sky. Immediately, the words to that song popped into my head and haven't left.

"Here comes the sun, do do do doo do, here comes the sun. It's alright, it's alright..."


1 Comments:

At 3/26/2005 9:35 AM, Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

....and the growth continues and so do the challenges. But all IS well. Love, v

 

Post a Comment

<< Home