Sunday, March 20, 2005

Market excursions

Today was a market day. Not a typical market day, as I normally go on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays, but today I needed fresh flowers. Not just any flowers...pink gerbera daisies. I saw a luscious photo by Kim Heffington from 2Peas website recently of her little girl holding up pink gerbera daisies and I had to do something similar. Off I went.

It's Sunday, it shouldn't be too busy...will the market even be open? And then I remember, it's almost Easter. Easter is such a huge festive time here in Mexico. These people have been partying for about a week, and it should continue for at least 2 more weeks. Front doors are draped with palm branches and homemade red bows and crosses and tissue paper flowers. Churches are decked out with candles and flowers and something that looks like oranges?

There is NO parking to be found, not even paid parking, so I end up about a mile from the market, in my favorite sandals from American Eagle that are almost completely trashed, and I hike in a stupid long sleeve shirt (sooooo hot outside) uphill to the market. If I were a hippy, I would take my top off to reveal a tightish purple tank top underneath (w/ built in bra). Well, maybe if I were a skinny hippy.

I make it to the market, search for the perfect flowers, and I'm in luck. There are only 6 pink gerbera daisies left in the whole place and I snatch them up. And since I can't resist big fat daisies, I also pick up about 4 small red daisies, just because they made me happy. On the way out, I notice a big pile of the hugest blackberries I've ever seen, bigger than the ones CJ and I used to pick on Buddy Lane. I drop 10 pesos on them and head back to my car.

After I get home, I take my pictures of Annabelle (you're about to see some of these soon!) and then place the flowers in a vase on my breakfast table between all the drying fruits and veggies (we have to soak our produce in iodine first) The sight of all the beautiful flowers and apples and oranges and limes just made me feel so happy...so healthy...I had to take a picture. So, enjoy...one of my favorite parts of my home, the breakfast table.

2 Comments:

At 3/22/2005 6:16 PM, Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

Mindi,

You must read The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. I can tell from your writing and your photography that you would Love it. Do you have access to a library there?

I love the picture.

Love, V

 
At 3/22/2005 9:05 PM, Blogger mindi11 said...

I haven't found a library yet. It's on my to-do list. I looked this book up on Amazon.com and it does look like something that I would enjoy.
Thanks, I always love book suggestions!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home