Saturday, April 02, 2005

My *secret* dream (but not so secret anymore)


Hippy Posted by Hello

I used to think being a hippy would be cool. And then I met some, and as nice as they were, bathing consistently is much nicer. But there are a few random hippy ideas that I think are cool. Like communal living...well, not actually all in the same house, but maybe on the same land? I had a dream when I was pregnant with my daughter, Annabelle, and it was so real and so beautiful that I wrote it down immediately, but have yet to share it with anybody, (other than Dustin) for fear that I would be viewed as a freak. But hey, if you guys haven't figured that one out yet, well, your loss...so here goes.

I dreamed of owning this huge property, just acres and acres. I don't think that I owned it, but my family did. There was this little entrance into the land, this village of sorts, and there was a sign hanging over the entry, but I cannot remember for the life of me what it said.

There was a road that ran a large circle throughout the property, and on this land were several houses. Each house belonged to somebody in my family, my brother, my parents, my aunts and uncles, cousins, myself. Each house was so unique, exactly what each person would build if given the chance. In the center of this huge circle of homes, was a very very large garden, a community garden. Every family member worked and pulled weeds and planted and tended to this garden, and we each benefitted from it. There was plenty to go around. This thing was beautiful, flowers, all kinds of berries and veggies, there were trees surrounding the garden, with apples and pears and oranges...everything you could want.

Kids were running around everywhere. There was no fear of a child playing outside, unsupervised. There was a small pond and a few homes had swimming pools. There was a small playground area, and walking trails...some people home-schooled, some didn't. Some people worked in town, others stayed home with kids, others were retired.

It was just heavenly. Exactly where I would want to live. With the people I loved, enjoying life daily, simply...

There was more to it, but as that journal is not in storage, I can't reference it...but I just know that it was such a happy peaceful place. I want that. I know that the odds of this dream becoming reality, in this lifetime, are slim. But it helps me to remember what I believe is important. Family. Simplicity. Wholesome fun. Living and loving and being thankful.

Maybe not in this time and place, but somewhere in my future, I am living here. And I look forward to running around outside with friends and children, barefoot, chasing lightning bugs and drinking tea on front porches and playing in sprinklers and eating watermelon and having seed spitting contests and dancing to the guitars and hand drums around campfires and lying in bed with my windows open, taking in the sounds and smells and feeling of it all and just being thankful. By the way...you're all invited.

3 Comments:

At 4/02/2005 11:40 AM, Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

Wowsers. I bet you dream of having your babies in the garden as you hoe the beans, dusting the little creature off and putting him in the baby pack on your back, all within a few nanoseconds. What a dream!

I often have thought about the pros and cons of communal living. I share your ideas on the pros, but I've never got past the people - they are always there; there's no getting away. Just joking. Your dream would make a beautiful reality if, well if it were reality.

Heaven. We will live in beautiful, pure community in Heaven. We won't have to contend with snakes in the garden either, It will be beautiful.

 
At 4/02/2005 6:17 PM, Blogger mindi11 said...

I mentioned to Dad one time about wanting a garden, he shot it down. Said that it was a lot of work, you always have to tend to it and stuff like that. He's a "city boy" now, he's had enough of the country. When I thought about it his way, that's really why I decided that we need a "community garden" so I don't have to do all the work! :)

 
At 4/02/2005 6:28 PM, Blogger mindi11 said...

oh yeah, and when I told Dustin, he said, "ummm...that's neat...let's make the houses far apart though. I don't want anybody looking in our windows at me in my undies" (yes, he calls them undies, like a little kid) He's a somewhat private person...I ruin it for him :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home