Saturday, April 02, 2005

a place for everything....random thoughts on organization

I'm not an extremely clean person. I bathe, daily (most of the time) I don't like to have dirty feet or hands. I can't sleep if my room is not in order, but for the most part, the scrub the tile cleaning, the nitty gritty...that's Dustin's job.

Organization...now that is something I love. I love the look of a stack of freshly folded towels or linens. I love alphabetizing CD's by author and stacking magazines in the order of their months release. I like to arrange books by height, I like to organize junk drawers, closets, find homes for things. Colors and paints go in their rainbow order. I am a little obsessive compulsive about things like that. And I think my Annabelle is taking after me.

She can have a room in disarray, but her Little People (best toys in the world for my kids) have to be either all lying down, or all standing up, not mixed. All the people must be separated from the animals. If all the vehicles are not being used, then none of them are. Since her birthday, when she received her Little People house, she just stopped using it suddenly. She decided that if her animals didn't have a place to live, then the people wouldn't either. She begged us to drive to our storage unit in Arkansas to retrieve her beloved animal's barn, and THEN she would use her house. Until then...take the house back to the store.

Dustin sent me on a mad search to buy her a new barn (as if that's what we need to spend money on right now) but no luck.

Little People Posted by Hello


Anyways, I was reminded of her little idiosyncrisies (no idea how to spell that) today, when I saw her playing with her toys on the fireplace. On one side of her toy fence, were all the animals, paired with their partners (sheep with sheep, giraffes together, zebras, so on) and on the other side, the people, in a perfect row. Organized. Orderly. With all the vehicles thrown on the floor next to the house for Juju to play with.

2 Comments:

At 4/02/2005 8:22 AM, Blogger amazing grace said...

I am right there with you on organization! OCD is definitely my companion most of the time....:)

 
At 4/02/2005 11:45 AM, Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

What a cute capturing of life. I love that story.

And by the way, when are you (or Dustin) available to come and do some cleaning and organizing for the old menopausal aunt?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home