Thursday, May 05, 2005

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!


Happy Cinco de Mayo!!! Posted by Hello

We have been so excited all week for Cinco de Mayo. Mexicans know how to party, and knowing how much we celebrated this day in high school spanish class, I was waiting for the big fiesta tonight. We planned to head to our favorite taco place and have carne asada, then to the Jardin for lime ice cream and home for pina coladas (excluding los ninos, of course)

So, we have our tacos and they were wonderful, kids did great, we head to the Jardin...and nothing. It was like your average Thursday night. It was around 8:30 so we weren't too late or too early...what's the deal? Where's the party? Where is the happy music and dancing people and the fireworks???

It's a cold night. Kids go crazy over a cute poodle in the ice cream shop. They share a scoop of mandarin sherbert (out of lime) and run laps around the park. Julian busts his head about 4 times, but realizes after the first time that if he cries, I am just going to pick him up and baby him (depleting his wild run around time) so he justs brushes himself off and waves me away and keeps running. Annabelle watches fascinated while a street artist sketches a pencil drawing of a man and a woman ("mommy, he's an artist, like me")

A little let down, we head home. We make our pina coladas. I have one, and then have Dustin make me a "frozen pepsi" (pepsi blended with ice in the blender) I rave over it and he says, "you're too easy". I'm not much of a drinker, so the pepsi was just awesome. He heads to play guitar with his friend Damon, and finds out that apparently, Cinco de Mayo isn't such a big deal in this part of Mexico afterall. The big party is Mexico's Independence Day (which is in September) Whoduthunkit? My best Cinco de Mayo party involved a canned flan and frozen taquitos in my 10th grade spanish class...

4 Comments:

At 5/06/2005 10:30 AM, Blogger amazing grace said...

love carne asada!!

and love Texas salsa.....
however, I know Mexican salsa has to be the BEST!!!

when we move to NC--I think I am going to have to start making my own salsa.....

 
At 5/06/2005 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! That's what I always picture when I think of Cinco de Mayo, too. Party people everywhere, colorful decorations, fireworks, music. I guess now you know the real truth. :)
• Kris

 
At 5/06/2005 1:27 PM, Blogger deby said...

I love reading your blog - and your photos are awesome. Beautiful kids!

 
At 5/06/2005 7:27 PM, Blogger Random me said...

We probably had bigger Cinco de Mayo festivals in San Jose, CA than you did. We're still partying!

I love your blog: the photos, those cute kids. Do you mind if I link to your's from mine? Remember: *I* invited you to gmail?? LOL!!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home