Sunday, September 04, 2005

emotional


comfort in Psalms... Posted by Picasa


I'm a bit emotional right now. To the point where I was questioning whether I may be pregnant or not (as if I don't do that every month anyway) But seriously, crying over songs, crying over somebody's happiness, crying over others misfortunes (been a lot of that lately) I just feel like I've been going through a dry season and now the floodgates have opened for me emotionally and spiritually and the grounds are gathering up the rain...

I've been thinking a lot about the recent hurricane/flooding problems in the south...how could you not, right? But more than usual. Dustin too. The man never watches television (except for Antiques Roadshow) But he has been glued to the news. He's obviously upset, but excited about seeing the good things that can and will come out of this desperate situation. He is brainstorming and thinking of ways that our family can help. Do more than just be sad and donate the few spare bucks we have after the gas stations take their cut.

So last night, we are driving to my parents house and pass a bus here and there. We wonder whether they are from New Orleans, and what kind of people are aboard. I picture babies and children. Moms and Dads. Grandparents. Tired. Worried. Angry. Questioning.

And as we begin to pass a string of about 20 chartered busses, we also pass a small church with a bright marquis, stating,
"GOD'S QUESTION FOR AMERICA: CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?"

I did not handle it well. I started crying. So so angry. Bus after bus of people and this is what they have to see.

I don't care what your beliefs are, this is not humorous. This is not a time to wag fingers and present a mocking, damning God to the world. To these poor people who have lost everything and are then presented with the implication that they have deserved this. That they've been so bad that God had to destroy lives to get their attention.

The God I believe in is merciful. The God I believe in is full of compassion and grace. The God I believe in LOVES and cares for us. All of us.

Of all the things the church could say during this time to encourage and support and love our southern neighbors, that is what they chose. And it hurt so bad. And I've been angry and crying sporadically, even now, over it.

And tonight, I turn to the Psalms for comfort, and see reassuring words describing the God that I believe in.

"He will rescue the poor when they cry to Him;
He will help the oppressed, who have no one to defend them.
He feels pity for the weak and the needy, and He will rescue them.
He will save them from oppression and from violence,
for their lives are precious to Him." Psalm 73:12-14


"But you, O Lord, are a merciful and gracious God,

slow to get angry,
full of unfailing love and truth." Psalm 86:15


"The Lord is a shelter for the oppressed,

a refuge in times of trouble.
Those who know your name trust in you,
for you, O Lord, have never abandoned anyone who searches for you." Psalm 9:9-10

3 Comments:

At 9/05/2005 9:51 PM, Blogger The Gallaghers said...

Sweet and appropriate psalms for the lives of our southern neighbors.

You may appreciate the end of the notes from this week on the HWF blog at hwfcommunity.blogspot.com regarding how as believers we must be relevant. I would love for you to post these verses on the HWF blog as a comment to encourage our folks with as the demeanor by which we deal with these needy lives.

 
At 9/06/2005 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiufl, profound post Mindi. I feel very much like you do: sad, teary, helpless. You have a beautiful heart. Thank you for sharing the scriptures.

 
At 9/06/2005 3:04 PM, Blogger The Beyer Family said...

Mindi, you are so sweet - I think we all feel like we should take a pregnancy test this week. :) Never have I felt so sad and unsure of what to say or do. I don't want to step on toes. I'm going to be selfish and thank you for posting what I needed to hear. The Psalms are so beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home