Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The circus


Bella at the circus Posted by Hello

We decided to end the week with a bang!

Night #1--date night (more about that later)
Night #2--Circus
Night #3--our last Sunday Jardin trip
Night #4--Dustin playing music with his Dad at a local restaurant/club

We will dedicate this post to the circus.

So the circus comes to town with flashing lights and big tents and a truck full of tigers (Dustin and the kids saw them on their way home one evening) We decide that the kids will love it (Bella being the animal lover that she is) So we head over and they've started earlier than usual. We are 45 minutes late and have missed the trapeze acts, but we're assured that the tigers haven't performed yet.

The clowns. Oh dear lord, the clowns. First of all, I'm not a big fan of clowns. Secondly, I'm not a big fan of screaming into a microphone, which is connected to speakers that are turned up full blast and continually short out, causing shot gun sounds. Finally, I'm not a fan of my child screaming and crying that they want to go home when we just paid for the "deluxe" seating at a circus that they are SUPPOSED to enjoy.

Fortunately, Dustin took Bella on a potty break and while they were gone, the clowns ending their little number and a busty woman in white spandex started parading around the ring on a horse. Impressive. Dustin will be disappointed he missed this one ;)

When they returned, they were setting up for the tigers!! A blond man with slicked back hair and balls of steel (sorry for the crude language, but only that could explain a man that would voluntarily cage himself in with 6 rather angry looking tigers...that or deep mental problems) He walks into the ring and the tigers follow. I was so fascinated to watch the tigers 6 distinct personalities.
The trouble maker, who looked like he wanted to eat the man in two bites and ALWAYS voiced his annoyance at being made to do stupid tricks.
The "flamboyant" one, who pranced around the ring, and seemed to smile the entire time. he loved the spotlight.
The necrophiliac who continually fell asleep between tricks...and on and on. Interesting animals.

Bella wasn't entirely impressed. Her only knowledge of tigers is what she's seen on cartoons, and they're usually running wild in a jungle somewhere, not standing on top of a spinning disco ball. She kept saying, "Mommy, why is that man doing that to those tigers? What is this?"

The tigers were followed by extremely cute camels, parading around the ring, running and bouncing to arabic music.

On and on until Bella finally asked to go home. I look forward to taking her to a circus with elephants and bears and lions (her favorite) and fewer screaming clowns.

All in all, it was fun. Julian loved it (or maybe it was the 1 1/2 year old in front of us that he was enjoying watching so much. This kid is seriously a babe magnet. Bella was disappointed that there was no cotton candy ("Mama, it's Tata's favorite treat! I need some cotton candy") This kid is a Mexican Sugar Monster. Detox is quickly approaching...

4 Comments:

At 5/25/2005 11:57 AM, Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

Mindi, you know that busty woman parading around in white spandex? That was me! I decided to pick up a few bucks by joining the circus. I wish I had known you were there. :-)))))))

 
At 5/26/2005 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh- "The necrophiliac who continually fell asleep between tricks...and on and on. Interesting animals."

I hope you mean NARCOLEPTIC tiger... (necrophiliac is someone who likes to, um, love the dead...)

ROFL...

what a great adventure you're on...

 
At 5/27/2005 4:06 PM, Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

I really wish I was the one to catch the above goof, but I didn't. I thought you knew a word about sleep disorders that I don't. It all raises the question, was that a Freudian slip? Is there a hidden sexual meaning in your "goof". Perhaps you should explain for those of us who are curious. :-))))))

 
At 5/29/2005 3:16 PM, Blogger mindi11 said...

This is so FUNNY! I was functioning on entirely too many hours without sleep, and I read the word "necrophiliac" over and over and over...I was just trying to make sure that I didn't use the word "nemphomaniac" (sex addict) I do know the difference in narcoleptic and necrophiliac...next time I'll google it ;) I'm so embarrassed...but i think I'll leave the error for a laugh. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home