Thursday, May 19, 2005

one week...and counting


el Jardin and the church that EVERYONE must take a picture of. Posted by Hello

We leave our Mexican home in a week. I am sad. I am happy. I am anxious. I am dreading the car trip...

Last night, Dustin took Annabelle out to her favorite restaurant (it's totally not my favorite, awful service, but Bella loves the spinach soup) At the table, he explained to her that we were going back to Arkansas. She was excited. She wanted to see Poppy and Tata. She wanted to play with her toys. But when asked what the FIRST thing she wanted to do when she got to Arkansas, her reply was, "Go to the JARDIN!!!" Silly girl. She loves this place.

This picture is of la Parroquia, the church in the center of town. Every tourist photographs this church. This is my shot. It's beautiful and huge and I went inside it today. So old. Huge ceilings. Saints statues everywhere. Confessionals. The only other Catholic church that I've been in was in Africa. I wanted to take pictures of everything, but felt it was probably disrespectful. I was in a hurry, but felt such a strong urge to be still. To sit and meditate and think and breathe and listen...but I didn't. I didn't have time.

How many times have I missed out on the beautiful, the holy, the juicy parts of life because of my time schedule?

An old man stood outside of the church, facing the Jardin, clutching his hat in his hand. He sang loudly, as if he wanted the people to hear his message. He sang 3 lines over and over again, in the most beautiful (though untrained) voice. So gentle, yet powerful. I was so upset that I couldn't understand him. I sat on a park bench and listened to him for 15 minutes until he put his hat back on and walked down the street. I imagine that he obeyed his urge to be still, to listen, to breathe and think, and sing his song...and only then, did he move on.

I want to live like that.

3 Comments:

At 5/19/2005 7:50 AM, Blogger ret said...

that was a nice piece of writing...good stuff...and true.

 
At 5/19/2005 5:19 PM, Blogger deby said...

and so did you, for 15 minutes on a park bench, listening to Him sing through a servant.

 
At 5/26/2005 4:57 PM, Blogger Ms Eva said...

San Miguel de Allende ! My summer home in '93. Wonderful city! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home