Wednesday, May 11, 2005

2 more silly childhood stories

1. My brother, my cousins and I used to have an unhealthy obsession with Ernest movies. (Ernest Goes to Camp was a favorite) We tried to build a teepee on our own, just like the kids did in the movie. When we got the base built, we somehow got the brilliant idea to strip myAunt Diane's sheets off of her bed for the protective cover. Just as the boys got the sheets cut up to fit over the base, and Misty and I were about to paint this bad boy...my Aunt Diane came outside. Let's just say that it was NOT as good of an idea as we thought it was...

2. I am an insomniac. I remember even in elementary school staying up all night until the sun came up, reading, cleaning my room, and listening to "We Built This City" on my little radio. However, being an insomniac does not make for happy mornings in my house.

In jr. high, I walked to school every morning (since I missed the bus) . I prided myself on the fact that I could get completely dressed and out the door in less than 7 minutes. I would hit the snooze on the alarm clock until around 7:50. (had to be at school at 8) Jump out of bed, get dressed, brush teeth, apply ponytail and speedwalk (just like my Mimi taught me how to, heel to toe, baby, heel to toe) to school. I always made it to my seat as the final bell was ringing.

One night, I fell asleep earlier than usual, and wore my regular clothes to bed (a big pink sweater and black leggings...although for comfortable sleeping, i had removed my bra) I awoke with a start, almost 7:55, and panicked. I wouldn't make it on time. And then I realized that I was already dressed. Cool. Brush teeth, apply ponytail, speedwalk to school...it wasn't until I made it to 3rd hour P.E., and was removing my sweater, that I realized I was not wearing a bra. How I never noticed I will never know...I have never been a small chested girl...never.

Once I realized my mistake, I cried for a few minutes, borrowed a sports bra from another girl ("i forgot my sports bra at home", I said, hoping she didn't notice that I had apparently forgotten EVERY type of bra at home) I made it through the rest of the day, miraculously, but oddly enough, it actually happened a second time a few months later. But we've divulged a bit too much here already, haven't we?

That second one kind of turned into an "Embarrassing Moment" entry. I am the Queen of embarrassing moments. If this blog weren't read by my Dad, I would be tempted to share a few of the most freakishly embarrassing moments known to man. (show restraint, Mindi, show restraint...)

4 Comments:

At 5/12/2005 12:52 AM, Blogger deby said...

you can not leave us hanging - remove the restraint!

 
At 5/12/2005 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ernest!!!! My brothers and I used to watch "Ernest Goes to Camp all the time". It's definitely the greatest of all the Ernest movies. I watched part of that recently and just cracked up at how cheesy it is. But still so funny! :) Ernest was just so proud to be counselor to that "rough" bunch of kids, wasn't he? LOL!

 
At 5/12/2005 8:16 PM, Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

Heel to toe, baby, heel to toe. I can hear Mimi. That is so discriptive. I have to admit it wasn't till I got to be an adult that I developed a quick beauty routine. I think that's the difference in being an 80's girl and being a 90's girl. Us 80's women wore lots of makeup and the grunge look was still to be thought up. We preened for hours.

 
At 5/14/2005 1:22 AM, Blogger mindi11 said...

i had no idea there were so many Ernest fans in the house! :) I was a little embarrassed to admit that!

And everybody can thank Deby...the restraint has been lifted, and ONE embarrassing story shall be shared. The rest of them have to do with female issues, and I know my Dad will not want to read that...and I don't know if I'm ready to share that much yet either. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home