Wednesday, June 29, 2005

a mini soundtrack of my life...so far...Songs 1-10

my friend stephen inspired this entry :) thanks!

my life is filled with music constantly, so this is hard to narrow events down to one or two songs, but here's my shot at it.

1. First song I remember hearing as a baby "You are my Sunshine", my Mom's voice.

2. I remember riding around with my Aunt Valerie and Stacie and maybe my Mom and listening to "Just a Swingin" though I don't know who sings this song.

3. Two childhood favorites, that i used to listen to when I stayed up all night (child insomniac) reading books and cleaning my room, "We Built this City" by Starship, and "Walk like an Egyptian" by the Bangles. Man I loved the Bangles. I used to do the Egyptian dance all around our house.

4. We used to have sleepovers every weekend. We would stay up all night and make up dance routines to songs and try to perform them at school for our friends. We were so awesome. Our favorites were "Eternal Flame" by the Bangles, "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul, and "Vogue" by Madonna. Oh, and anything by Wilson Phillips, Tiffany or Debbie Gibson.

5. One of my first overseas mission trips. One of the older girls on the trip wrote down all the words to "Chasing Waterfalls" by TLC so I could memorize them and sing them along with all of the other older girls. I felt so cool.

6. Driving on my own, riding around with girlfriends. We had such a wide range of music for our listening pleasure, but one of my favorites was "Summertime in the LBC" by Warren G. This was also the beginning of my "rap/r&b phase" that my husband is so thankful I outgrew. (although i still know all the words to all my favorite songs and sing along with them when they come on the radio...it drives him crazy)

7. Song I think of when I remember my BEST friends in high school, "Beautiful You" by Considering Lily. Also any songs from Five Iron Frenzy, The W's, and Bleach.

8. Working at my favorite job thus far, a video store run by 2 of the craziest bosses I have ever had. It was all young college kids that worked there and man, we had fun. The whole experience can be summed up by 3 bands, "Everclear", "Cake", and Jimmy Buffet.

9. The first time Dustin and I held hands, we listened to "Underneath the Kissing Tree" by Sara Masen. Although, I should probably admit that the first song that comes to mind of my first meeting with Dustin is "You were Always on my Mind" by Willie Nelson. Dustin sang it to me when we first met. He's such a strange boy.

10. First kiss ever (and first kiss with Dustin) "Fell in Love at 22" by Starflyer 59.



Okay...that's just the first edition...I'll be back with the remaining songs in a minute b/c this post is getting to be too long.

2 Comments:

At 6/29/2005 8:08 PM, Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

Wowsers! I don't think I could do this. What struck me about yours is how I don't know any of those songs. Does that mean I'm lots older than you?

 
At 7/02/2005 12:04 PM, Blogger mindi11 said...

come on Valerie, don't you remember "Just a Swingin"?? I am sure that was you in the car with us!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home