Saturday, April 16, 2005

You're so vain...


self portrait, just for fun Posted by Hello

Okay, truthfully, I never look in the mirror. With the exception of brushing my teeth, and looking in the full length to make sure my jeans are not tucked into my socks or something, I just don't. Maybe it's because I get down on myself when I see how much weight I still need to lose, or because I don't like my hair or I still haven't found the perfect make-up to hide the acne and chicken pox scars...

So, today I am in this little grocery store, picking up some Trident gum, and as I browse the aisles, trying to remember if I have any bread at home, I notice someone, out of the corner of my eye. They are directly behind me, and since the aisle is so small and cramped, we bump into eachother. I turn, look at the person and smile. I say "excuse me", and it is not until I see their mouth forming the exact same words, "excuse me", do I realize that I have bumped into a mirror. I am smiling and apologizing to myself. The store is crowded. My eyes fill up with embarrassed tears, not crying, just embarrassed. This is a silly thing that I've done since elementary school, and have no control over it. Anyways, I refuse to make eye contact with anybody else that may have just seen me bump into, smile and apologize to a mirror, I buy my gum and a little chocolate (for comfort) and flee...

There's no real point to this story. I just noticed that I posted a picture of myself yesterday and thought it would be perfect to go with this story. I debated forever over whether or not to post a picture of myself, with no kids or cute hubby or even scenery of Mexico to share with everyone. I thought, "People are going to think that you are vain or self-centered". But now, I realize that this picture, (although a little deceptive, since black and white photos cover uneven skin tones, acne and scars much better than a color photo) if nothing more, reminds me of what I look like just in case I ever bump into myself again.

1 Comments:

At 4/17/2005 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so funny. Stuff happens. At least you were polite when you thought it was someone else you bumped into. :)

I love your picture, by the way. It's very honest and real and you look beautiful. :) I hate close-ups of myself because of the same thing you mentioned (acne), but ya' gotta love b&w for evening out the skin tones. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home