Wednesday, January 04, 2006

CJ's visit



Before Christmas, CJ came to visit for the weekend, do some Christmas shopping and teach my Aunt Diane a new recipe. He met me at work around 6pm and we headed out to do some shopping. I love my brother so much. He is truly one of the most generous people I have ever known (second only to my Mom, which makes things great for me to have the 2 most generous people in the world in my immediate family!)

We walked the mall, shopping "CJ style", which means talking him out of buying a million things for everybody he's ever met. Including myself. He found a scarf in Mason's Boutique (kinda pricey) that was really soft that he bought for his girlfriend. Then he decided that Amy needed one too. And then while debating what colors to purchase for me and Mom, I reminded him that he had already bought our presents and considered taking his money away until we bought what was left on his list.

After shopping, we decided to go to dinner. Now, remember that CJ is a chef, and a pretty good one at that, so your typical "Olive Garden-esque" dinner isn't gonna cut it. We head to a really really really nice place called "Bordino's" It was so beautiful inside. It was dimly lit with red accents everywhere, and these little picture boxes all around the wall that held everything from baseballs to seashells to thread and yarn...they're called "art boxes" and you can see them on their site. Fresh cut flowers and classy looking waiters, way too many pieces of silverware and really beautiful wine glasses that I was bound to break.

We sat down and after looking through the menu for something in my budget (uh, like maybe $10 or less) CJ said that he would be paying. Such a gentleman. So we browsed through the menu and with the news of CJ's buying,I was able to search beyond the menu of sodas and into actual food purchases.

Our meal was amazing. Conversation was so sweet and much needed. I love to hear his ideas about the future and his opinions and thoughts on things. This was the relationship that Mom always told us we would have, if we would just stop beating the crap out of one another. I treasure it.

After our appetizer (which we split), our meals, and drinks, the waiter brought the check. I was floored. This is my grocery bill. For 2 weeks. CJ didn't flinch. He said, "Mindi, there is about one meal a week that I don't have to eat standing over a trash can in our restaurant's kitchen. I try to make it a great one and I'm willing to pay well for it."

I told him, "CJ, most guys bring girls to places like this in hopes of getting laid at the end of the night....I'm sorry I can't do more for ya, because it ends here." :)

After paying, we headed down the street to Brewski's for a drink and more hilarious conversation, mostly involving embarrassing moments, and our crazy family. We drove home to a screaming Bella ("UNCLE UNCLE UNCLE!!!!! He is like a celebrity around our home) and I promptly fell asleep, full and happy and content. Sometimes I just need some CJ time.

2 Comments:

At 1/05/2006 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

brother's are great. my brother brought me pizza and cupcakes for lunch yesterday and i didn't even ask him to. i happen to LOVE pizza and cupcakes.

i don't get the minutes back that abdul used, but i don't have to pay any money which is nice. sucks losing my phone# though. i've had it forever.

 
At 1/05/2006 9:31 PM, Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

I wish I could see CJ and taste some of his cooking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home