Wednesday, September 06, 2006

the fair


we're taking the kids to the fair tonight. i'm so excited, some of my favorite childhood memories are from the fair.

*jumping like a maniac in the inflatable balloon house
*riding the bumper cars with my dad and uncle Kent and CJ
*winning ribbons for my construction paper artwork(and sometimes not winning, which was very hard for my little competitive heart)
*sucking helium out of the free balloons and singing loudly at the top of the ferris wheel
*getting free ride tickets (in high school) for picking up Subway sandwiches for the "tilt-a-whirl" conductor
*nearly putting a girls eye out with my free yardstick
*seeing the big shot from my high school get sick on the "Zipper", and vomiting his Sonic Cherry Limeade all over himself and the other riders (not fun to watch, but fun to laugh about later)
*getting free rides with my friend Heather on the aforementioned "Zipper", until we just couldn't handle it anymore and begging through tears to be let out.

that's the thing with small towns, there's not a lot to do, so when something as magical as a little fair comes along, you enjoy it for all its worth. we used to try to go every night that it was open (Wed-Saturday)

we're moving to Austin this weekend. I've been making a list of all the things that I'm excited about, such as living within blocks of a Super Target, Starbucks, Hobby Lobby and Michael's, & a huge movie theater. Living in a city that has an Ikea, Costco, Whole Foods Market and Pottery Barn. I told Dustin he may need to take on another job just to support my big city spending habits for the first few months.

However, I'm so excited about taking my kids to the fair tonight, that I am reminded that I am very much a small town girl at heart. We will have cotton candy and funnel cakes and lemonade, and try our hardest not to throw up on the rides. We will spend entirely too much money trying to win "priceless" stuffed animals. We will admire the elementary school artwork and ride the carousel and the huge slide and jump in the bouncy house. we will look at the huge animals and pet the bunnies, for as long as my pregnant nose can handle the stench, and we will come home exhausted, and a little smelly and very much content from a long fun day. if you live in my area...are you going to the fair this week? hope to see some of you there tonight :)

7 Comments:

At 9/06/2006 6:05 PM, Blogger Kara said...

I might have to come and visit you in Austin...IKEA, Whole Foods Market (there was one in Atlanta-it was awesome and fun at the same time), and then the always famous Starbucks and Target, SAWEET!!:) We will miss you (even though we didn't see you much while you were near:)) but it's different when you are moving further I guess....anyway, enjoy the fair tonight and safe moving and travels to Austin. Cute pic of Annabelle jumping.

 
At 9/06/2006 7:27 PM, Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

Austin sounds like a dream.... I hope you love it. When I think of the Polk County fair, I remember all the rides I puked on. Yes, that was normal for me. The other thing I remember is the country bands. The last time I was at the Polk Co Fair, there was a band playing, "Does Ft Smith ever Cross Your Mind?" I thought it was so funny.

 
At 9/06/2006 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are all about the fair! i'm sure one or more of our family will be there every night! I personally like to do what I call "eat my way across the fair"....starting on one yummy item and trying to get one of everything....without refinancing the house to do it!!
~Marleen

 
At 9/07/2006 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love, love, love that picture. Just wanted to tell you.

 
At 9/08/2006 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm excited for you and sad all at the same time!
Mika

 
At 9/14/2006 12:38 AM, Blogger Susie said...

You take some pretty sweet photos, Mindi :)

 
At 9/26/2006 11:40 PM, Blogger StePHen said...

i know i am behind in commenting but i am so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! and how in the world do you get those kids to do those things so you can take such incredible photos?!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home